Sunday, April 19, 2020

Lessons from Covid-19 lock-down


While driving back home on the 11th of Mar, little did I expect that I would be locked inside my house for the next 30+ days. Since then, a month has gone by and it already seems like eternity. The worrying trends from across the globe, those horrifying videos from Italy and NYC has forced many armchair thinkers to change the way they look at life. Aam junta like me are no exception. I too have a few experiences from this lock-down. This COVID-19 lock-down has not just exposed my own inabilities and not possessing (m)any of the basic survival skills, it has also changed a few perceptions that I believed to be true for long time.

When lock-down started, I thought it is a good opportunity to catch up with all my pending reading. This lock-down forced me to do a few things by self and I miserably failed in doing simple tasks. Firstly, my sincere efforts to make a cup of coffee even after reading the instructions on Nescafe sachet went haywire. Secondly, since house maid was also in lock-down, we decided to share chores amongst ourselves and do our own dishes. And I was getting into a brawl with even smallest of the utensils while doing the dishes. I did some temporary arrangement for the wasted RO water to be collected and use it to wipe the floor. But my wife put the task on me *sobs uncontrollably*. I took hours to wipe the floor with a mop which my maid did in 10 min without it. I realized I couldn’t do even the simplest of the chores at home. I started feeling like a civilized Neanderthal. I have not taken a shave since a month; so, I also look like one *adding to the effects*.

On one hand, COVID-19 deaths increased exponentially which led to the extension of lock-down period and on the other, I was feeling ashamed at my own incompetence of not being able to make even a cup of coffee for myself. I decided to catch up on the pending reading later. I realized I must up the ante and get better at stewardship at home, for my own good. I am at it now and in the past 20+ days, I’m still at square one, but the intriguing lessons learnt are worth sharing.


Household chores are easy is a myth
I always had this perception that household chores are easy as they neither require brains nor a great physical effort and that they are routine and mundane tasks. Only when I saw my mother and wife doing the dishes so flawlessly and effortlessly, I realized I was wrong. It is certainly not a mundane task. It is a three-dimensional art with time, accuracy and water conservation as its dimensions. The same goes with doing the dishes/ mopping/cleaning. I realized that all household chores can be mastered only with practice. Household chores is easy is a presumption of stupidity.

You can survive with just Doordarshan
The re-telecast of Mahabharata and Ramayana are truly blessing in disguise for me. While it is preposterous that few of my friends have branded me swamiji for watching the great epics *tears rolling down my cheeks*, I was like “Hey vats, keep calm”. Mythology was one quizzing topic which I wanted to improve on since a very long time. So, the timing was just perfect. I also started watching a few episodes of Chanakya, Jungle Book, Buniyaad; they all had one thing in common; they were so brilliantly made with major focus on content. Prasar Bharti has so many classics in its kitty. But is it worth with contemporary programs also? I’m pretty sure that DD entertainment would surely be finer than all our private channels combined. Any sane person cannot stand private channels’ camera overplay on a woman protagonist’s cleavages for 10 min in every episode. DD National, DD-Bharati and DD-Retro are more than ample necessities for our entertainment needs.

More importantly and  surprisingly, by Indian standards, DD News has remained a news channel. They are ethical, news readers put forth the actual news without any exaggeration and let the viewers decide. On DD News, dolts do not read tarot cards, there are no resentment filled debates, they do not run Homeopathy helpline and Asian sky shop programs. More importantly, dimwits and lamebrains do not predict the future of this country. So, I have decided to stick to DD news for news and watch private news channels for entertainment.

Watch DD News for a week. Trust me; you’ll concur.

Home cooked food can do wonders
After I entered corporate world, there was never a time I did not suffer from GERD. With my office canteen food, my burps are so strong that I’m sure if converted to energy, it would work wonders; thanks to the adulteration levels even in simple Idly and sambar. Eno and Digene are always on my travel checklist and are always stocked up. Even though Ayurveda helped me keep it at bay for some days, my coffee addiction has always made burps an integral part of my life.

But since last 30+ days of lock-down, we’re washing veggies more carefully than ever, thanks to the disturbing behavior of single source event attendees. I am eating healthy, home cooked food and zero junk food because the junk food in supermarkets are selling like hotcakes. I would be lying if I say stopped eating junk food. After seeing the panipuri pics all over the SM as if people are celebrating April as National Panipuri month, I was tempted too. But even that is homemade. *winks*. This has worked wonders for me. To my own surprise, my acidity, burps, GERD induced chest pain and every other symptom of hyper acidity is gone. Thanks to COVID-19 lock-down for instilling in me, the amazing benefits of eating freshly cooked food. Not just eat healthy, eat fresh is a very big lesson for me, that I’ll try to stick to.

There are other pleasant changes that this lock-down has made possible. Our entire family is spending quality time together. We are watching TV and dining together after ages. Dad and I are watching Roger Moore’s bond movies together, with him recalling his good old days. I am reminding my mom to monitor her blood glucose levels regularly. My credit card statements are at its lowest, which has also made me think of spending carefully on unwanted luxuries. Whataybaby is happy that “appa corona no aapees”. In other words, covid-19 has made a lot of things possible, which were even otherwise possible, but, meddled in the mediocrity of our own lives, we just didn't find it necessary. Especially us, Bangaloreans, have that one reason for all our hopeless time management skills, "Traffic jam". It's time we learn to manage time, prioritize what is important, draw a line between professional and personal urgency and start giving importance to spending quality time with family, at least occasionally.

When I read Nelson Mandela’s autobiography, “Long Walk to Freedom”, I couldn’t connect on an emotional level with his 27 years in Prison. But now, I cannot even fathom his struggle. Imagine being locked up inside a jail on a remote island for so long! Here I am, locked in for 30 days and every day seems like another race to be won. I am still trying to cling to some form of normalcy hoping all this ends soon and we can get out, buy stuff, get back to office, hit gym, go on long drives and to be ourselves. But looking at the increasing numbers, it is still a dream.  

I like this dream; dream of freedom. Hope it becomes a reality soon!
               

No comments:

Post a Comment