Monday, January 30, 2012

The importance of five minutes

Sometimes, life is such a bitch! I hope this doesn’t happen to even the worst of my enemies. Of late, it has become a challenge for me to find companions for chai at my workplace. If the fear of uncles and aunts is not yet discovered, I’ll take the credit of inventing it and name it after my company. BTW, if you’ve never faced a situation where you were forced to sip a cup of coffee or tea alone in your office canteen, don’t ever risk it. It’ll shatter you; rip you to an extent greater than when Kapil Sibal learnt that Aakash tablet didn’t sell 100 units. A cup of tea without any companion can be most awful five minutes of your life.
Talking about five minutes, Isn’t it really weird how much of variation can a mere five minutes bring in different situations of life? Just contemplate on the below circumstantial evidences, you might realize that, 5 minutes, just 300 seconds, sometimes can be too much of a time and sometimes absolutely nothing at all.
Five minutes of surplus sleep in the morning is the best part of the whole sleep. My mom is the sweetest alarm in the world. When she wakes me up, I know it’s getting late but still I say “pleaaaase Maa.. Just 5 min” and pull my blanket over. How I wish those 5 minutes to be as stretched as possible. Oh, you should be so lucky to get this extra 5 minutes every day.
Imagine there’s no one at home and you’ve invited your girlfriend just to show her your house (I’m sure you’re capable of doing much more!). And your uncle’s third sister’s brother’s father in law with irritable bowel syndrome comes home just to use the toilet. You ask your girlfriend to hide somewhere inside. You look at your watch every thirty seconds and pray to god like never before  that he’ll not stay for more than 5 minutes. We all want those 5 minutes to get over as swiftly as possible. Isn’t it? Sometimes in life, some people cause happiness wherever they go; and some, whenever they go!
Once I had been to a movie called Neal and Nikki (I’ve seen “Aap Mujhe Achche Lagne Lage” and “Agneepath” also in theatre). That’s when I started getting smiling Baboons in my dream; singing “I’m the neal, I’m the man, rock star, superstar” with guitar in hands. I badly wanted a navigation slider on screen so that I could forward and end the movie in just five minutes. Statutory warning: Even 5 minutes of Uday Chopra is injurious to health.
I’m sure even the f***ing geniuses have experienced the importance of last 5 minutes in examination. I had to write 10 more lines to get a stamp of 35. And there’s 5 more minutes left. The room invigilator strictly said last five minutes is to tag your answer scripts. I started scribing so fast as if this is the last five minutes of my life. I wanted these five minutes to be as lengthy as it could get.
The five minutes is same in every situation. But it is the circumstance that makes it different. So learn to make the most of your time. Learn to respect time. No matter if it is yours’ or others’.  A great man has said “It is always better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.”
 Just as I finished penning my above thoughts, My enlightenment for the importance of five minutes flashed in my cell phone with below sms from Sandy:
What is the similarity between over cooked food and pregnant girlfriend?
Thinking that “had I removed 5 minutes earlier, life would have been better”
Co incidence? You decide!
Image courtesy: effective-time-management-strategies.com and trsh.org

4 comments: